Designation: Associate Professor
Education: M.Sc, Ph.D
Teaching : 6 years
Non Teaching: 3 years
Research: 5 years
UG : Industrial Microbiology
PG : Industrial Biotechnology
Publication (latest come first)
- Girilal Morkattu. (2019) Metal nanoparticles induced stress physiology analysis on freshwater fish and plant system. Journal of Nutrition and Obesity. 2(1), 63. Doi: 10.18875/2639-1252.C2.2019
- M. Girilal, A. Mohammed Fayaz, L. K. Elumalai, A. Sathiyaseelan, J. Gandhiyappan and P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2018). Comparative stress physiology analysis of biologically and chemically synthesized silver nanoparticles on Solanum lycopersicum L. Colloid and interface Science Communications. 24, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colcom. 2018.02.005.
- A. Sathiyaseelan, A. Shajahan, M. Girilal, R. Ramachandran, V. Kaviyarasan, P. T. Kalaichelvan (2017). Synthesis, characterization and biological applications of myco synthesized silver nanoparticles. 3 Biotech. 7: 333. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13205-017-0961-9.
- M. Girilal, V. Krishnakumar, P. Poornima, A. Mohammed Fayaz and P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2015). A comparative study on biologically and chemically synthesized silver nanoparticles induced heat shock proteins on fresh water fish Oreochromis niloticus. Chemosphere.139, 461-468. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2015.08.005.
- Rajarathinam Manjumeena, Dhanapal Duraibabu, M. Girilal, Joseph Sudha, P. T Kalaichelvan. (2014) Imparting potential antibacterial and antifungal activities to water based interior paint using nanoparticles of silver as an additive- An ecofriendly approach. Advanced Science Engineering and Medicine. 6(6), 676-682. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1166/asem.2014.1550.
- M. Girilal, A. Mohammed Fayaz, P. Mohan Balaji and P. T. Kalaichelvan (2013) Augmentation of PCR efficiency using highly thermostable gold nanoparticles synthesised from a thermophilic bacterium, Geobacillus stearothermophilus. Colloids and Surface B: Biointerface. 106, 165 – 169. doi: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2012. 12.038.
- R. Manjumeena, M. Girilal, P. Mahesh, P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2013) Augmenting potential antifungal activity of Gandhaka rasayana (A sidhha compound) using green synthesized silver nanoparticles from Couroupita guianensis leaf extract against selected pathogenic strains. Int. Res. J. Pharm. 4(6), 234- 239. Doi: 10.7897/2230-8407.04653.
- A. Mohammed Fayaz, Z. Ao, M. Girilal, L. Chen, X. Xiao, P.T. Kalaichelvan, X. Yao. (2012) Inactivation of microbial infectiousness by silver nanoparticles-coated condom: A new approach to inhibit HIV- and HSV- transmitted infection. International Journal of Nanomedicine 2012:7, 5007–5018. doi:10.2147/IJN.S34973.
- A. Mohammed Fayaz, M. Girilal, R. Venkatesan and P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2011) Biosynthesis of anisotropic gold nanoparticles using Madhuca longifolia extract and their potential in infrared absorption. Colloids and Surface B: Biointerface. 88, 287–291. DOI: 10.1016/j.colsurfb.2011.07.003
- A. Mohammed Fayaz, M. Girilal, Mashihur Rahman, R. Venkatesan and P. T. Kalaichelvan.(2011) Biosynthesis of silver and gold nanoparticles using thermophilic bacterium Geobacillus stearothermophilus. Process Biochemistry. 46, 1958–1962. DOI: 10.1016/j.procbio.2011.07.003
- A Mohammed Fayaz, M. Girilal, Saba. A. Mahdy, S. S. Somsundar, R. Venkatesan and P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2011) Vancomycin bound biogenic gold nanoparticles: A different perspective for development of anti VRSA agents. Process biochemistry. 46, 636–641. DOI: 10.1016/j.procbio.2010.11.001.
- Thiagarajan V, R. Revathi, K. Aparanjini, P. Sivamani, M. Girilal, C. S. Priya and P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2011) Extra cellular chitinase production by Streptomyces sp. PTK19 in submerged fermentation and its lytic activity on Fusarium oxysporum PTK2 cell wall. Int J Curr Sci. 1, 30-44.
- A. Mohamed Fayaz, K. Balaji, M Girilal, Ruchi Yadav, P.T. Kalaichelvan and R. Venkatasen (2010). Biogenic synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their synergistic effect with antibiotics: A study against Gram-positive and Gram- negative bacteria. Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, biology and medicine. 6, 1, 103-109. DOI: 10.1016/j.nano.2009.04.006.
- A. Mohammed Fayaz, K. Balaji, M Girilal, P. T. Kalaichelvan and R. Venkatesan. (2009) Mycobased synthesis of silver nanoparticles and their incorporation into sodium alginate films for vegetable and fruit preservation. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry. 57, 6246–6252. DOI: 10.1021/jf900337h.
- M. Girilal, Abraham Varghese, V. Krishnakumar, and P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2015) Adsorption of textile dyes using biogenic silver nanoparticles modified yeast cells. ENVIS Newsletter. 13(2), 1-5.
1. Girilal M and Sony George (2022) ‘Benefits of Nanocomposite Food Packaging Over Conventional Packaging’ In ‘Nano-Innovations in Food Packaging: Functions and Applications’ Apple Academic Press, ISBN: 9781774639726, E-Book ISBN: 9781003277422.
- Girilal M and Jyothi K Nair (2021) ‘Cellulose Nanostructures and Its Application as Effective Food Packaging Systems’ in ‘Nanotechnology‐Enhanced Food Packaging’ WILEY‐VCH GmbH, Chapter 4, Pages: 67-86. Print ISBN:9783527347735, Online ISBN:9783527827718, DOI:10.1002/9783527827718.
- Girilal. M, A. Mohammed Fayaz, Somasunder SS and P. T. Kalaichelvan. (2017) ‘A comparative in-vitro cytotoxicity study of biogenic and chemically synthesized metal (Ag and Au) nanoparticles’ in Advances in Biotechnology, Chapter 5, Vol 1 Wilmington, DE, USA. 1-16. ISBN: 978-81-935757-0-3.
- Alan Thomas S, Misha N and Girilal M (2017) ‘Synthesis and characterization of silver nanoparticles from the leaf extract of Epipremnum aureum (Linden & Andre) G. S Bunting and antibacterial activity of AgNPs treated polypropylene sheets’ in Plant Science technology for Sustainable Development (Eds) S.K Jain and Sons, 1-9. ISBN: 978-93-82845-00-3.
- Invited speaker for International Conference by SCON ‘Food Science Conference 2019: International Conference on Food Science, Nutrition and Public Health’ held during June 27th and 28th 2019 at Singapore.
- Invited speaker at National Conference in ‘Exploring Bionanoscience in Pharma, Agri, Food Science and Industrial Microbiology’ at Centre for Bio science and Nano science Research, Coimbatore during 30 and 31st August 2019.
As resource Person
- Resource person of the international workshop ‘International HACCP Workshop’ organized by Bell Institute of Research and Development studies during 23rd to 25th July 2020.
- Invited speaker of the Induction program for Department of Biochemistry, Vels University, Chennai on 16th November, 2020.
- Association of Food Scientists and Technologists (India) AFSTI Life member – Membership No: AFST/LM/4-2019/ZON/3057
- Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE) Life member – Membership No: LM127242
- Food Safety and Quality
- Consultant for Microbiology and Molecular Biology Lab Set up
- Core Committee member for Food Science and Quality Control Program at School of Food Science and Technology, Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala.
- Approved PhD Guide under APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University, Kerala
- Curriculum and Syllabus Development Committee Member for B. Tech Food Technology Course of APJ Abdul Kalam Technological University (Kerala State Government University) from 26.06.2019 to 15.01.2021
- 28 publications (15 Research journals and 5 Book chapters) with Aggregate impact factor – 52.795, Total citation – 2200+, H index – 11, i10 index – 11, Article featured in science direct top 25 list – 1 (As on July, 2022)
- Completed HACCP (Highfield Awarding body for Compliance – Level 3 & 4), Highfield, UK, with merit.
- Certified ‘Food safety trainer in Advanced Manufacturing’ – Trainer of Trainers (ToT) (Qualified by Food Safety Training and Certification (FoSTaC) program under FSSAI on February 2019.
- Completed ISO/IEC 17025:2017 Awareness and Audit Training course conducted by Emirates International Accreditation Center, Government of Dubai
- Completed ‘Good Laboratory Practices and Effective Handling of Microbiology EQA samples for Food and Environmental Labs’, conducted by Public Health England (PHE) on October 2017
- UGC Research Fellowship in Science for Meritorious Students, UGC Research Fellow with a SRF and JRF fellowship, from 2008 – 2012.
Researchgate profile: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Girilal_M