B. Tech in Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering is one of the core disciplines in Engineering. The Department of Civil Engineering at Saintgits is one among the only six in Kerala that offers NBA accredited BTech Course in Civil Engineering.
The Civil Engineering course at Saintgits is also accredited by The Institute of Engineers India and maintains ISO 9002:2001 Standards, which adds to the merit of course. Along with the university prescribed curriculum, a wide spectrum of Value-Added courses like Auto Cad, 3Ds Max, ANSYS, Total Station Survey, Revit, SAP, E TABS, STAAD, Primavera etc. is also provided by the department to make students Industry ready. The Department being a leading Civil Consultant in the area, students undergoing this course gets a chance to be involved in consultancy services along with faculty from which they gain industry experience even before the completion of the course. The Department also provides GATE/GRE training from the third year of study, enabling students to be competent enough to obtain seats in premier national/international institutes for higher studies.
Civil Engineering that deals with all aspects connected with needs of society. It has large number of sub disciplines including building technology, material sciences, construction engineering, earthquake engineering, environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, water resources engineering, structural engineering, surveying, geo informatics, transportation engineering, municipal or urban engineering, sanitary engineering etc.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- Design/Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct Investigations of Complex Problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and Team Work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long Learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
PEO 1: To prepare graduates to satisfy the requirements of their employers for Professional practice in Civil Engineering thereby serving the needs of society and profession.
PEO 2: To prepare graduates to take up post graduate studies/research.
PEO 3: To prepare graduates for professional advancement and business leadership.
PROGRAMME SPECIFIC OUTCOME (PSOs)
PSO 1: Apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering fundamentals to identify, formulate, analyze and solve civil engineering problems.
PSO 2: Design solutions and processes to meet the specified needs of society.
PSO 3: Apply appropriate techniques and modern engineering and IT tools to predict and model complex civil engineering activities and to conduct investigations by using research methods to arrive at valid conclusions.
B. Tech. Civil Engineering
M. Tech in Geomechanics and Structures
The curriculum of this programme was developed by veterans of the Civil Engineering Department, under the guidance of the University. The Department has contributed significantly to the development of the curriculum of the programme in consultation with eminent academicians from IITs and universities in India as a unique blend of structural and geotechnical streams. The programme equally covers two main streams of Civil Engineering, the Geotechnical Engineering and Structural Engineering.
Foundation design is a most challenging field in civil engineering. The nature of soil tends to change from point to point, and it changes with depth. Designing a foundation needs high level of knowledge about soil mechanics and analytical skills. Foundations are the most critical part of any structure. For higher structures, one has to go deeper, and more problems need to be solved for heavier and higher structures. Geotechnical needs to be integrated well with structural design and architecture to give its due importance. The postgraduate course on Geomechanics and Structures at Saintgits create civil engineers with a strong ground on geotechnical engineering as well as structural engineering. This course is supported by Advanced Geotechnical Laboratory which has high-end equipment like triaxial testing machine and software like PLAXIS 2D, 3D, ANSYS etc for soil modelling. The facilities are also offered to outside students at reasonable cost.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
|PO1||An ability to independently carry out research/ investigation in geotechnical engineering and development work in geotechnical and structural engineering to solve practical problems.|
|PO2||An ability to write and present a substantial geotechnical report/ document.|
|An ability to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area of Geotechnical and Structural Engineering, including usage of modern engineering tools.|
|An ability to apply engineering principles to effectively manage geotechnical engineering projects.|
|An ability to follow ethical principles, assess societal issues and understand the impact of preserving the environment and sustainable development.|
|An ability to function effectively as an individual or team member in multidisciplinary settings and engage in lifelong learning.|
Programme Educational Objectives (PEO s)
|PEO 1||Prepare the students to Work in industry with skill to formulate and solve real world problems pertaining to geotechnical and structural engineering.|
|PEO 2||Prepare the students to Do research with innovation for the enhancement of knowledge and quality of life.|
|PEO 3||Prepare the students to Exhibit professionalism, ethical values, communication skills, team work in their profession and adapt to modern trends by engaging in lifelong learning.|
M. Tech in Structural Engineering and Construction Management
This course is tailored for civil engineers wishing to become senior consultant managers in both structural consulting firms and contracting organisations, and is ideal for graduate engineers starting their career in the construction industry. It successfully combines structural design with advanced construction management, which will enable you to perform at a managerial level for a high level structural consultant or contractors. The course is supported by an excellent well equipped structural research laboratory, in which high load testing floor facility is available, with loading frame of 50 T and its accessories. We have data acquisition systems, digital load cells, load indicators, strain gauges, non destructive testing facility like rebound hammer,CTM of 300T capacity etc particularly for reseach alone.We have facility to test beams up to 4 m, slabs up to 2x2m, columns up to 2m height. The facilities are offered for outside students at reasonable cost.
The course is also supported by Design Studio lab where 35 high end computers with licensed softwares like SAP, ETABS, Primavera and STAAD are available, which are the software used by structural and construction companies. We have established an ANSYS research facility, the only one of such kind in kerala, in which 100 student licenses and 4 research licenses with unlimited notes of ANSYS finite element package is installed.
This course will be a good platform for Civil Engineers where they get exposed to advanced structural design and analysis, finite element analysis, advanced material sciences, advanced construction management, earthquake engineering, structural experimental techniques and software analytical techniques.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
|PO1||An ability to independently carry out research/ investigation and development work to solve practical problems.|
|PO2||An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/ document.|
|An ability to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area of Structural Engineering and Construction Management, including usage of modern engineering tools.|
|An ability to critically analyse and create innovative structural designs for sustainable development observing economic, social and ethical values|
|An ability to manage construction project work by implementing business practices including risk and finance management|
|An ability to function effectively as a structural engineer in multidisciplinary situations and engage in reflective lifelong learning|
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
|PEO 1||To provide fundamental and advanced knowledge in Structural Engineering and Construction Management to produce competent, creative and imaginative engineers with a strong scientific acumen.|
|PEO 2||To develop the research capability among students with an aim to improve, create and execute it for social and economic growth of the society.|
|PEO 3||To apply broad multidisciplinary skills necessary to accomplish professional objectives in rapidly changing technological trends.|
Value Added Courses
Value added courses are designed to fill the curriculum gap of the programmes offered. Value added courses are conducted to ensure skill development of students and make them industry ready.
The Civil Department offers value added courses in 3D Drafting (AutoCAD 3D, 3Ds Max), REVIT BIM Architecture, Primavera, MATLAB, LaTex, Tekla Structures, SAP, ETABS, STAAD, Building Design Workshop, Total Station Survey Camp and Advanced experimental testing.
Among these wide spectra of courses offered at Saintgits, a student could select any in each semester and he/she should undergo at least seven of these courses based on his/her priority.